Saturday, May 16, 2009

July 8, 2003

This was a day that would change my life forever. We had been following all of the doctor's instructions for a couple of months at this point, and Kevin came home from work to tell me that he found out our insurance did not include maternity. I assured him that it wouldn't really matter; after all, it's not like I get pregnant easily. I told him to check into adding maternity the next day to see what the cost would be. He agreed, and we went to get some fast food together before he headed out on the road for work. As we were driving, I remember telling him that my chest hurt so bad that I felt like I was having a heart attack. It was an odd pain, and it was only on the left side. I decided to wait it out and see if it got better or worse, and he left.



About an hour later, I started thinking that maybe this pain could be caused by pregnancy. Surely not...we had only used the little ovulation monitors for 2 months. I hesitantly grabbed a Home Pregnancy Test out from under the bathroom sink, and I totally expected that horrible single line to laugh in my face yet again. To my surprise, a very dark second pink line was there! I was pregnant! After 9 years, I could not believe it was ME who was pregnant! I think I called my mom first, and she was about as stunned as I was. I then called Kevin, and he was elated...ever the optimist, he was much less surprised than I was.



Here is my test from over 6 1/2 years ago:



I spent the next few weeks very nauseous, very exhausted, and very happy! I was attending Master's Classes at night, and when I was 6 weeks along, I got a job at a Law Firm. I needed to get insurance that included maternity, so I took the first job I could get that had good insurance coverage! A few days into my new job, I started having severe cramping. I called my OB/GYN (Dr. H), and she said it was probably fine since I was not spotting but that I could come in to be checked out. I quickly went in, and she did an ultrasound. I was 6 weeks 3 days that day, and I was madly in love with the little butter bean that was on the screen. The baby had a beautiful heartbeat, and Dr. H said, "Relax, you'll be sending this one to college." I went back to work so excited that I could burst. I didn't know at that point that heartbeats could stop.


I went in for my scheduled appointment at 8 weeks 5 days, and Dr. H did another ultrasound. I was still feeling very sick and had many pregnancy symptoms, and we were happy to see the little heart beating away again. Strangely, the baby had only grown to 7 weeks 2 days in the 16 days since I'd been there. I had absolutely no idea that slow growth was an indication of a problem. I got on a plane the next day and flew to Indiana to be with my family.


While in Indiana, I had many spotting incidents, but they were very minor. I called the doctor, and she said it was probably just from the ultrasound, and it was very normal. I did worry a little at that point, but I was still very "pregnancy innocent." When I got back home, I went about my usual life of work and school. When I was just under 11 weeks, I started spotting again. So, I called the doctor, and she said to come on in. She gave me another ultrasound "just for reassurance." She looked odd to me and asked me if I was alone. I told her yes and that Kevin was out of town. I could see that the little flicker was no longer present on the screen. And while my baby had grown to even resemble a baby, there was no heartbeat. When I asked her, she confirmed what I was seeing.


I was in such shock that I basically had no response at first. She got Kevin's number and called him, and luckily, he had not been able to leave town yet. While he was on his way, I called my mom, and it really hit me when I told her. I was crying very loudly and just kept telling her "the baby died, the baby died." I just didn't know that could happen. I didn't understand. Wasn't this the son that God had promised me? Was this some cruel joke that I would have a son, but he wouldn't live?


They moved me to a different room with a couch, and they immediately scheduled me for a D&C at 5 the next morning. I went home, and I remember taking a bath and weeping. Our dog, Dizzy, sat with his little mouth resting on the tub, and he whimpered right along with me. I was torn by two different thoughts. "I want this dead baby out of me now" and "but that means I won't be pregnant anymore." I would almost have wanted to keep the baby inside forever just to be pregnant. Neither of us slept that night, and the next morning brought excruciating emotional pain for me.

No comments: