Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Dreaded RSV

And so it begins....both kids have RSV : ( Noly went in, and the nurse could hear the wheezing. So, they checked her oxygen level...95% (wanted 100%, but would be satisfied with 90%). They also swabbed both of her nostrils, which she tolerated with her bottom lip poking out. Dr. C came back in and said she does have RSV. We didn't take Jule in because we didn't want to expose him to anything else, and we knew he had whatever she had. Dr. C said that they could go to the babysitter's if they didn't have fevers, diarrhea or vomiting, which they hadn't. I spoke with the babysitter to see what she was comfortable with, and she agreed with the doctor. So, Jule is there today. Noly had a rough night, coughing every 10 minutes even with cough medicine, so I let her sleep in and kept an eye on her when she got up. She seemed to be wheezing less than yesterday but coughing more, and she didn't have a fever, so I sent her to Kevin's mom for the day.

We had an absolute blast together yesterday. It was just Noly and I from 12:30 until 4:30. We put on our flannel jammies, ate Chick-Fil-A, watched Diego, and then I told her she could take a nap with me. I told her I had a surprise for her (thinking my flannel Star Wars sheets were in the closet). Oops, they must still be packed up in the garage. Since I had already told her I had a surprise, I gave her a Christmas present early. She was only getting two, so now she'll only get one...she won't care. It was a Little People Camping set. We played with it for awhile, then we took a nap in "Mommy's Big Bed." It was so nice to spend some alone time with her and give her some undivided attention. She just hasn't had much of that since Jule was born.

Kevin picked up Jule and brought him home around 4:30 so I wouldn't have to wake Noly up from a nap to go get Jule. He was a tad stuffy but was in a good mood overall. Monday, he was absolutely delightful. Last night, he was just a tad fussy for a short time, but he was happy in general. Both nights, he's been in bed by 8:30! He was laughing hysterically at Noly last night as she rang the bell on his exersaucer. This morning, he woke up VERY stuffy and was coughing because of sinus drainage. So far, he's not showing any signs of respiratory problems. He's about 2 days behind Noly on this, so I'll be watching him closely tonight and tomorrow. I find myself freaking out off and on, but I have to remember that God has a plan for him and will keep him safe.

Kevin left today to go out of town and won't be back until after bedtime tomorrow night, so that means I have two nights alone with two kids with RSV...not a pleasant thought. I was listening to a sermon online about thanking God, and one thing that hit me was to find the blessing in all situations. I am thankful to God that my babies even exist, and I am thankful that they are healthy enough to not be in the hospital right now. I am thankful that I know He has His angels surrounding them, and that nothing can touch them that doesn't first have to go through Him. We'll make it through these next two nights. It might take an Ativan or two, but we'll make it : )

No comments: