Friday, October 10, 2008

A Wedding and a Funeral

Last night, we went to a friend's wedding. It was one of Kevin's long-time friends, so that meant we were going to see a group of people that we had not seen in awhile. When I first moved here, all of Kevin's friends became my circle of friends, but as I was here longer, I got to know more people through College and Church. The wedding was nice, and my mind was racing back into the not-so-distant past. I thought about how much I have changed since I last saw our friends. In a sense, I felt like there was a funeral for the person I used to be.

We used to go camping and dirt-biking/4 wheeling in the nearby National Forest together. It was a fun, care-free time! The dare-devil that I am, I remember the dirt on a trail pulling me right into a tree when I was riding my dirtbike. No harm done...at least to me, maybe a small dent in my bike. I remember dirt-biking in the morning, then going to my Accounting classes covered in dirt and smelling like gas and oil...not your typical Accounting student.

Part of me misses those days, but the other part of me LOVES where I am now. I didn't have Noly or Jule back then. I also didn't know many of my friends that are so dear to me now. That part of me still exists, but I think it will have to be put on hold until my kids get older. They are my priority now, and it thrills me just as much to see them accomplish each milestone. I so loved hearing my daughter cry, "I want my mommy" last night...I just wish it wouldn't have been while the bride was walking down the aisle!

Overall, it was a good time. We are all tired today from being up later than usual, but it's the weekend, so it doesn't really matter. Tonight, I will get Noly to help me put the grab-bags together for her birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese tomorrow. Oh, and Kevin will need to go pick up some cupcakes since I can't touch eggs to make them myself. Oh, and I'll need to wrap Noly's birthday presents. Oh, and...it doesn't stop, does it? Being a Mommy is a thrill-seeking, adventurous, ever-changing story with little, tiny characters and tons of tears and giggles.

No comments: