Tuesday, October 27, 2009

God's Plan and Provision

I've been reading through Genesis lately. I'm trying to read all the way through the Bible even if it takes me more than a year, so I just keep track of where I've read. There are some things about the story of Joseph that I never thought about before. It's funny how you can hear a story over and over, and one time something just about knocks you over!

When Joseph's brothers came to him in Egypt and did not know who he was, it doesn't seem like his first feelings toward them even remotely resembled anger. Even after they sold him as a slave, he had to fight back tears upon seeing them again. I'm not sure that I would be that forgiving ; ) He told them that what they intended to do to destroy him was part of God's plan for the future...pretty astounding if you ask me!

The other part that I had not noticed before was how God provided for what Egypt needed during a time of great famine. There came a point when all of the people still needed food but had no more money to buy it. So, Joseph told them to bring their livestock to him in exchange for food. Joseph's brothers were now living in Egypt and it just so happened that they were professional shepherds. God knew the livestock would increase, and He provided just the right people necessary to tend the extra livestock.

It all makes me think about a couple of things. Even though we are going through tragic times, God will use the tragedy in the future to make something beautiful...to bring about His plan. What the enemy intends to destroy us, God WILL use it to further His purposes in our lives. I really wish I had not had 8 miscarriages, but I know I'm living in this fallen world where bad things will happen, and I know that God is using it to fulfill His big purposes for me. And if He will provide some of the best shepherds for the extra livestock of Egypt, He will provide what He knows I need...even before I know I need it. Only by His orchestration can the most beautiful music of my life be played. My orchestration would result in dissonant chords and untimely notes. Thank You, my Creator, for having Your purposes in mind for my life.

1 comment:

Helene said...

Okay, Heather why aren't you writing for a Christian magazine or something??? Your words are so moving and so thought-provoking. I always leave your blog with such a good feeling.