Wednesday, October 14, 2009

From 3 to 34 in One Night!

When I went in to wake Noly up this morning, I found her sitting on the side of her bed looking down at her legs. She said, "I not 4 yet." I said, "You are. Happy Birthday. You are 4 now!" She said, "But I not big like you." It was then that I realized that all of the times she said she would be "like me," she was quite literal. To her, 34 contains the number 4, so she was going to wake up this morning as big as I am. Thankfully, that is not the case! I told her it takes time to grow big, and that she is bigger because she is 4, but she will continue to grow.

Don't we think that way sometimes? We expect to become mature and perfect, Christ-like, overnight. Becoming like Him is such a process, and we fail so many times. I'm so glad He doesn't think, "You stupid kid...you should be grown by now." He also knows it's a process, and He is there to encourage us as we strive to be more like Him every day. I'm so glad God has patience as I learn and grow. If I could only get it into Noly's head that it will be many years before she is as tall as her mommy.

No comments: