Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Happy First Birthday, Jule!

It was one year ago today that my sweet boy was born.


He was a little over 14 hours old at this point a year ago, and I had not held him yet. I was pretty much a wreck because I wanted him to be with me so badly. He was born at 36 weeks exactly and had Respiratory Distress Syndrome. They heard him "grunting" when he was born, so they whisked him off before I got the chance to hold him. That was horrible! I wanted to feel his soft baby skin and kiss and hold him.

After two doses of surfactant for him and three hours of sleep for me, I was able to look at him. I completely broke down, and I felt so sorry for the orderly that was pushing me in a wheelchair. He looked like he was still in high school. I could only stay in the NNICU for a few minutes because they were needing to give him more surfactant, and that was something they would not allow me to watch. I did touch him, and that helped a little, but I wanted to HOLD him! He was on a ventilator and was crying, but no sound was coming out because the tube was down his vocal chords. It was so sad to see him like that.

On Day 2, they moved him from a venitlator to a CPAP machine, and I finally got to hold him.


He was in the NNICU for a week, then he was able to come home! He has had a lot of health issues over the past year, but he is finally starting to outgrow them. We cannot imagine our lives without him now. And though he thoroughly annoys Noly right now, there will come a day when they will play together and enjoy each other's company.



Happy First Birthday, my sweet baby boy!

3 comments:

Helene said...

Awww, happy 1st birthday, little man!!

Heather, seeing those pics of him at birth with all those wires attached to him made my heart sad for how hard that must have been for you. Both of my sets of twins were born early and it was SO hard to see them in the NICU with all those monitors attached and wires coming out of everywhere.

Isn't it amazing how they were so fragile and tiny in the beginning and now our kids look so strong and healthy!!

Heather said...

Helene,
I'm so sorry you had to see all 4 of your kids like that! It is very amazing to see how big and strong they become with such a difficult beginning. I'm glad all of our kids are home with us now.

Cathy said...

Happy Birthday little Jule..
Awesome party, everything looked absolutely amazing for his birthday party.