Monday, July 20, 2009

Brown Sugar and Luke 6:38

On the surface, these two do not appear to have ANYTHING in common. Luke 6:38 says, "Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." When I read this verse today, I thought about making Sloppy Joes last night. I always make a northern version, which includes about 1/3 cup of brown sugar. Whenever I make something that includes brown sugar, I always pack it into the measuring cup as tightly as I can, and then I sprinkle a little extra on top...just because I generally like things a tad sweeter.

A portion of one of Third Day's songs started playing in my head..."and you give yourself away, and you give yourself away, and you give, and you give, and you give yourself away. All I want is love, and I confess to this. I will take it, Lord, all You have to give..." A portion of 4 Him's "The Message" also stood out in my mind, "...to give til there is nothing left to give..." Jesus gave it all for me...His very life...everything. My desire is to give my life in the same manner that I give my food brown sugar....not to get, but out of love and out of the overflow of His gift working in my life.

3 comments:

Helene said...

You are so wonderful about taking scriptures and songs and comparing them to events in our daily lives. I just go about my daily routine without an extra thought in my head. When cooking or baking, I'm usually stressed out as the kids are fighting over who gets to spoon the sugar into the measuring cup, as one spills it all over the clean floor. I totally miss out on it being a "Godly moment of realization"!!

I just saw your post on couponing...I'm trying to get the hang of it too. But it's so time consuming!

Heather said...

It is so hard to do when you have little ones!!! Time is so limited...yours more than mine!

Big Easy Daddy said...

Amazing insight.
I follow your blog, because it
helps me to see him, in a different light..
Thanks..