Friday, September 4, 2009

What Was Abraham Thinking?

I'm sitting here thinking....I wonder what Abraham was thinking when God told him to sacrifice Isaac, his child of promise. Sure, Abraham had seen God come through on His promises, Abraham had seen miracles, and Abraham had a close walk with God. I think that when we hear about Mt. Moriah, we think that Abraham obeyed God with no questions, no hesitations, and maybe even no emotions...at least that's how I've often thought about it. But today, I started thinking about the human side of Abraham. I wonder if he questioned God. After all, he is the one who questioned God about the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. I wonder if he grieved. I wonder if he debated on whether or not to obey. I wonder if he ever took a few steps backward...away from Mt. Moriah. I don't have the answers to any of it, but I do know that God rewarded his obedience.

I'm feeling kind-of "Mt. Moriah-ish." The big unspoken is that I am feeling led to go to a different church. This is a huge deal for me because my church family IS my family here...the rest of my real family is 14 hours away, and I'm not very close to Kevin's family. I adore my church, I love singing on weekends, and I absolutely love listening to my pastor's sermons. BUT I feel God telling me, "It's time to go." It's not because I'm mad at anyone or disagree with anything. It's more about following His calling, His leading. His timing.

It brings me great pain, but I will obey. I believe He will bless me when I obey, but I will miss my weekly time with my church family so much. My church has around 3,000 attendees, and the church I'm feeling called to has around 300-400, so that will be an adjustment. We live far away from my church, and the new church is literally one mile from our house. That will make it so much easier with two small children, but I'm still sad. I spoke with the Music Leadership last night, and they blessed me in following God's leading, and I will be singing this weekend one last time. Maybe God will say, "Just kidding...just wanted to see if you were paying attention"??

I know that Isaiah 55:9 (The Message) says, "For as the sky soars high above earth, so the way I work surpasses the way you work, and the way I think is beyond the way you think." God has a master plan, and He alone is the One Who knows all, so I trust Him. But just as I've seen Him move and bring me my "child of promise," there's still a human side to me that questions, that wonders. But I know He is faithful, and I know that He calls for our obedience. So, here I am...ready to leap off the cliff, knowing He'll catch me, and knowing He'll do exceedingly above all that I can ever ask or imagine.

No comments: