Thursday, September 15, 2011

Jeremiah

Last Friday was really difficult for me. I thought that Jule's fresh start at his new school was going perfectly. When the Director talked to me, it sent fear through my heart. I was so happy they were loving him despite his difficulty, but I was disheartened because they too were having problems with him. Thankfully, the problems were not with tactile sensitivity anymore. He has completely outgrown all of that! I drove to work very discouraged, knowing that his evaluation appointment was even more important to keep now.

As I sat and worked, I was listening to Chuck Swindoll's "Insight for Living" online. His topic was the prophet Jeremiah. He talked about how Jeremiah was known as the weeping prophet, yet he had a strength to stand alone against the evil of the day. Some of the phrases from Jeremiah 1 that he used were"fortified city," "iron pillar," and "bronze wall." Then it hit me very hard. Jule is VERY much all of those things. He is unmovable, he is determined, yet he is so sweet and compassionate. I remembered how God spoke to me when I was 14 and told me I would have a son, and I remembered how He began to reveal to me that this son would be a prophet through the book of Jeremiah. I don't know if He was speaking to me over the 20 years to encourage me through these times, but it sure does make a difference in my perspective. I would not say it makes it any easier, but it helps me keep eternity in mind. It surely drives me to my knees in my efforts to raise this treasure God has given us. I know there will be times I will fail, but God knew that I could do it with His help.

He is out of school today because of pink eye, and the stress just doesn't seem to end. However, I do know the One Who knew Jule before he was even formed in my belly, and I know He will give us grace and direction as we journey through this thing called parenthood.

No comments: