Monday, September 19, 2011

Hard Day

It's been a very hard day for me. Once again, I was called into the Director's office at Jule's school. She was out last week and wanted to know how his evaluation went. I smiled and told her the good news. Unfortunately, she did not share in my joy. Her face fell into a frown, and she said, "I can't believe they would say he is normal." Everything in me wanted to attack. He is my baby! She went on to question who we used, what tests they ran, etc. I told her we waited 4 months for the best doctors we could find and that they used the same tests they use on all of the other kids. I have no idea what they were named. She just kept shaking her head and saying she couldn't believe they could say he's normal. She said he cannot speak up to par, and I told her two separate speech pathologists determined his speech to be in an acceptable range. She said normal children take naps. I told her they said he was within normal limits because he sleeps 12 hours at night with no problem. She just kept rejecting what they said.

My heart was so broken, but I knew I had to keep calm and keep my tongue under control. I was mad...I was heartbroken that someone would speak about my son like that. Once again, he has been labeled, only this time, I know very much that it is an incorrect label. His teachers are amazing and did not react this way, so I want to keep him there at this point. He still LOVES going and his teachers' faces light up when he walks in all happy in the morning. We talk about what forms of discipline work best with him, and we are truly working together to bring about a more non-screaming Jule. I am still scared. I'm scared he will get kicked out. Not because he is naughty, and I'm not even sure what the reason would be. My heart is so heavy tonight, even to the point that I feel I could vomit, but I know God is at work in the midst of the situation. He still loves our sweet Jule and made him every bit as unique as he is.

2 comments:

Heidi {Tales From a Suburban Housewife} said...

I need to email you! Jule is definitely old enough to give up naps. My girls haven't napped in years. Audrey gave them up at 2 years. Have you thought about getting him a nanny? Maybe he would do better in a setting that was taylored for him and his needs not the needs/wants of his current teachers. I am so worked up about this!!

Heather said...

We have thought about and discussed that and just are not sure how to find someone we can trust. Given that he is difficult to handle, there is a fear that he could be mistreated if he was one-on-one with someone and there was no accountability. At a daycare setting, he is always with multiple people at a time. We are really praying for wisdom on what to do.