Thursday, September 1, 2011

Grace

I would like to introduce you to my Grandma...her name was Grace.  We named Noly after her when we named her Nolynn Grace.  These pictures were taken the first week of August, and my Grandma died without much warning on 8/17/11.  She lived in the same home for close to 50 years, she was married to my  Grandpa for 61 years, she LOVED God, and she loved her family.

 This is the last time we saw her.  She was delighted that Jule cuddled up with her to listen to a music box.  She was wearing a paper necklace that Noly made when we had visited two days before.  She LOVED her great-grandkids...all 8 of them!
Obviously, I've known her all my life.  She met my mom for the first time when my mom and dad told her that my mom was 15 and pregnant with me.  I was her first grandchild!  Though a very dedicated Christian, she was never ashamed of me just because I was born out of wedlock.

I want to share with you my first memory of her.  I was there all the time when I was young, and when I was around Jule's age, I was playing with her.  Her phone rang, and she talked for a minute before hanging up.  I asked her to play with me again, but she told me, "That was someone from the church, and they had a prayer request for the prayer chain.  I need to go pray first."  I followed her as she went to her bedroom and got on her knees and immediately prayed for that prayer request.  This woman was a prayer warrior, though she may have never even heard that phrase.  She taught me to pray for people...to really pray.  She taught me to make the time for God.  When we went to her house after she died, I found her Bible with the final daily devotion she had read.  My Grandpa was kind enough to let me have it, and I love to read through its worn pages just as she did.  I love her notes and highlights, her handwriting, the tape where she had to put some ripped pages back together.  I treasure her great love for our God.

I still cry a lot because I miss her.  We talked at least once a week, and I miss our phone calls.  I miss just knowing that she was there in her house...cooking and ironing.  I am so thankful that God blessed me with a Grandmother who knew Him and who always pointed me to Him.  I bet she is up in heaven dancing with my 8 children who left the earth before I could meet them...they are her great-grandchildren.  I miss you, Grandma, and I love you.  But most of all, I'm glad you loved Him.

3 comments:

Heidi {Tales From a Suburban Housewife} said...

This is one is tear-jerker! Great memories!

John Ng said...

thanks for sharing! This must have been tough for you to write and collect your thoughts. Still God's gain is for now your pain. She is watching you and her namesake as well as all of her grandchildren and children as well from an eternal and amazing place.

Helene said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. She sounds like she was an incredible person and a very loving grandmother! I hope the happy memories you have of her will bring you peace and comfort. What a special gift that you have those last few pictures of the kids with her!