Thursday, August 20, 2009

More Than We Can Handle?

The events of the last 13 months have led me to question if I have more than I can handle. I really feel like I do. From Jule starting out his life in the NICU then turning into a refluxing fountain and screaming almost every waking moment to our arrival at a solid 9 months of sickness with very little healthy time in between, I feel like I'm in a free-fall and like I'm in over my head. I started thinking about how I have heard so many people say, "God doesn't give us more than we can handle." But is that really true? I don't remember reading that in the Bible. I do remember this verse that I think that phrase is based upon: I Corinthians 10:13. Here it is in various versions:

KJV "There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."

NIV "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it."

New Living Translation "The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure."

The Message "No test or temptation that comes your way is beyond the course of what others have had to face. All you need to remember is that God will never let you down; he'll never let you be pushed past your limit; he'll always be there to help you come through it. "

All of these translations seem to point to the same thing: temptation...not just plain old living and circumstances. What I have come to realize, at least at this point in my life, is that sometimes we DO have more on our plate than we can handle. It is often those times that we rely solely on God for strength.

I feel like God's strength is all I'm going on right now because I just don't have it in me anymore to keep up with all of the sickness, all of the doctor appointments, etc. I also believe that a time will come when it won't be like this; and at that point, I need to remember to cling to God just as much as in a time like this. I ache for my friend, Whitney, whose 7-year-old has cancer and is going through treatment. She has way too much on her plate, but she is clinging to God, and He'll carry her through it.

In the Psalms, there were many times that David was feeling overwhelmed. The following Psalm reflects it, and I choose to run to God just like he did...

Psalm 63:1 "O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water."

1 comment:

Helene said...

That is one of my mantras..."God doesn't give us more than we can handle". I figure God must have a whole lot of trust in us to give us as much as He has. And there are times I do forget that I can lean on Him during the struggles and that's when I go back to that saying.

You're so right that this stage won't last forever. There will be a time when things get easier!