Friday, August 7, 2009

Instant Gratification

I was listening to the radio the other day, and the DJ said something that stood out to me. "God doesn't always give us what we want or ask for immediately." Granted, I KNOW that, but I so often act like I'm surprised when He doesn't. In fact, sometimes His answer is no.

I thought about my own kids and how spoiled and ungrateful Noly would be if I gave her everything she wanted right when she wanted it. Sometimes my answer is that she has to wait for it, and other times it is just no. I don't always give her a reason because sometimes the reason is beyond the scope of her understanding. Sometimes, the answer is no because allowing her to do something would bring her harm. She doesn't know it and can't foresee it, but I can.

I believe that God is the same way. We would be spoiled brats if He gave us everything we wanted, and we would suffer much harm if He allowed us to have some of the things we ask for. I don't understand why I had to go through so much to have children, but I trust that God's plan is perfect, and He always has my best interest at heart. I also believe that some things happen if only for the fact that we live in a fallen world. AND I believe it breaks His heart when we go through things that cause us grief as a result of living in this fallen world. I know that there are times when my heart breaks for my children.

Monday, Jule had a blood draw for allergy testing. Twice now, he has broken out in hives. It took me and two nurses to hold him down, and he screamed like we were killing him, but I knew it had to be done. It hurt him, but it had to be done for his own future safety. Certainly, he didn't understand it, but I know it will help me make decisions that will better protect him. I've already seen him struggle to breathe on more than one occasion, and if I can stop it from happening again, I will!

During this ordeal, our Pediatrician (did I mention before how much we love him?) heard his blood-curdling screams and came in the room and whisked Noly away with him for a popsicle. It gave me such a picture of God because there are times that He pulls us out of the pain and gives us a popsicle...just like He pulled me from the pain of miscarriage and gave me my two babies! Noly wasn't in any danger, but the doctor did not want her to get upset. Scott Krippayne sings a song "Sometimes He Calms the Storms," and it perfectly depicts what this post is about:

V1.All who sail the sea of faith find out before too long
How quickly blue skies can grow dark and gentle winds grow strong
Suddenly fear is like white water pounding on the soul
Still we sail on knowing that our Lord is in control

C.Sometimes He calms the storm with a whispered peace be still
He can settle any sea but it doesn't mean He will
Sometimes He holds us close and lets the wind and waves go wild
Sometimes He calms the storm and other times He calms His child

V2.He has a reason for each trial that we pass through in life
And though we're shaken we cannot be pulled apart from Christ
No matter how the driving rain beats down on those who hold to faith
A heart of trust will always be a quiet peaceful place

1 comment:

Helene said...

Heather, I just love your blog....you have such a way with words. I always find myself smiling when I read your posts.

I agree with everything you've written here. In fact, sometimes I believe that when God says no to something we want, it's really for our own good because He has bigger plans for us. Like, something we never even realized we wanted until the meaning of it became apparent. I, too, never imagined I'd have to go through what I went through to have my children. I was too selfish and stubborn when it came to going down the path God put me on, as opposed to what I wanted. But once I resolved to just give it to God and just have faith, it did work out. Maybe not in the timing that I would've liked or even in the manner I would've liked but my prayers were answered, just in a different way than I would've expected.

I hope that all makes sense. I'm sitting here eating Jelly Belly's and I think the sugar is causing me to be delusional.