Friday, March 9, 2012

Intussusception

Jule was doing well on Saturday and Sunday and most of Monday, and everything went downhill when we went to the bus stop. We stood waiting for the bus...about 2 blocks from our house...and he started screaming that his tummy hurt and that he couldn't walk. Thankfully, Noly's bus arrived on time, and I carried him as far as I could to the house. He had to walk part of the way because I can't physically carry 40 lbs, being under 100 lbs myself, for very long.

Once we got home, he would cry and scream for 10 minutes, then be calm for 10 minutes. I would take him to the bathroom because he was kind-of gagging, and he would cry and scream then collapse asleep in my arms. I would then put him on the couch and let him sleep until it started again. Kevin had just driven 3 hours away earlier in the day, so I was alone with the kids. Jule was very clammy and pale but no fever. After about two hours, he vomited a lot. At that point, I was thinking maybe it was stomach cramps and a tummy bug because he became happy after that. So, while I was stressed out, I wasn't overly worried about him. Then, as time went on, he started moaning and crying more, only gagging and vomiting a little. I told Kevin I needed him to come back home because I couldn't do it alone. I had a migraine, Jule was hurting, and Noly is phobic of vomit. As Kevin was driving in, I felt very uneasy in my spirit. I felt like something just was not right, that it may not be a tummy bug. The minute he walked in, I told him I felt Jule needed to go to the ER just to be sure this was only a bug. He looked at me a little confused but quickly agreed when I went over our evening.

I thought they would come back home because I was just overreacting, but I found out around 2:30 am that Jule had Intussusception. It's like your intestines folding inside each other like a telescope...kind-of like a blockage. When it occurs low in the intestines, an air enema can be used to blow it back into place. Jule's was seen on ultrasound, and it was too high. So, he had to be admitted for observation. They said he would need surgery if it did not correct itself. I think he was in a room by around 5 am, and they did another ultrasound at 9 am. By then, it had corrected! We were very happy! He had to stay one more day because he would not drink to hydrate himself, but he was doing much better by Wednesday. He has been his crazy little self ever since. His case was caused by swollen lymph nodes in his abdomen either from a virus or even from his recent ear infection. It may or may not reoccur, which makes me a little uneasy right now. However, all I can do is pray for discernment if it does happen again and pray that it doesn't happen!

Today, I have been falling apart more emotionally because I had to put on a strong face for both kids. I put in my faithful 4 Him cds and found so much comfort once again in the words blasting out through my car radio. Our God is faithful. God protected Jule and I believe directed my heart to send him to the ER. He keeps our sweet little ones in ways we cannot even see. The only way I'll ever be a successful parent is by relying on Him. As I sat by Jule's hospital bed for a 3rd time in his 3 years of life, I read aloud Psalm 91 over my baby:

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.

I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.

Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.

He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;

Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.

A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.

Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.

Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;

There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.

For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.

They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.

Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet.

Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.

He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him.

With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.

2 comments:

John Ng said...

Sorry to hear of what you had to go through. I guess we draw upon His words and His messengers of grace - 4Him to carry us.

Heather said...

Yep! I wish I had a CD player in the house and could listen to some of the CDs, but the kids are so loud that I settle for listening just in the car for now ;)