Wednesday, April 20, 2011

More Surgery

We went to our ENT today. Jule was pretty hesitant since he had just been in the ER, and the ENT is located in the hospital. Overall, he did very well though. The ENT was very informative, and he said the number of croup episodes is definitely not normal. It would be normal for a child to have 1 to 2 croup episodes in their life. Some may have a little more, but nothing near what Jule has had. He has had 4 ambulance rides, several visits to the Ped's office, and many more where the steamy bathroom and a breathing treatment did the trick.

So, he suggested that we do an exploratory surgery of Jule's upper airway. He said there are many things that could be wrong that would cause recurring croup. Some are fixable, and some are not. But at least we would know what we are dealing with even if it is not fixable. OR Jule may just be very unlucky. The fact that he has been intubated 3 times makes him suspicious that something may not be right in Jule's airway. The surgery only takes around 8 minutes and will not require intubation. Yay! This particular ENT did both sets of Noly's tubes and Jule's first set. It is with the hospital I work with, so it will not cost us a lot of money. God is providing in ways that make me feel very peaceful about our decision. I really pray that they find something fixable so that Jule does not have to go through this over and over, but I am ok with the possibility that they may find nothing or find something they cannot fix.

I'm so exhausted that I fear I am not making any sense :) Right now, I am having about 2 migraines a week, but they are not keeping me in bed. I'm having a lot of side effects from the preventive, so I don't think I can up it any more. My sugar is dropping like crazy very often, which can be a huge problem. So, I may need to go off of it. I just have to get Jule through the surgery, then I can deal with my med change. Noly is my little bright light. She let Jule play in her room (normally off limits) because he was sick, and she has been so sweet and helpful with him, even wiping his runny nose! I'm so thankful for her kind, compassionate heart, and I can appreciate her zeal for trying to get him into a Princess dress. I do not think that one is going to happen though. Good night!

2 comments:

Heidi {Tales From a Suburban Housewife} said...

Poor Jule! I hope he out grows all of this. Do you feel like something is wrong...what does your gut say? Have a wonderful Easter weekend! We may be stuck at home again this year...Ella is sick (spent 3 hours at the dr. today).

Heather said...

Your poor girls have had a tough time with sickness too! I'm so sorry!

I don't even know what my gut says anymore except that I definitely want to rule out any possibilities of fixable problems. He is have surgery Tuesday to look at his upper respiratory system because of being intubated as a baby.