Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Recent Happenings

A lot has been going on recently, and I'll try to post what I can in as little words as possible:


We went to Palatka, FL on March 5-7 to see Marty Magehee in concert. We left on Friday afternoon, and we were at the hotel by early evening. The kids were so good on the way down thanks to our wonderful DVD player and some delicious snacks! When we were almost to our hotel, we drove by a really cool castle playground. We pointed it out to Noly and told her we would take her there the next day. She really enjoyed herself but would have been happier if I hadn't taken pictures of her!

This was Jule's first time actually playing at a playground because he has been too young to do much. Well, he was still too young to do much but walk around, but he had a wonderful time exploring. Kevin followed Noly, and I followed Jule. We stayed until Noly asked to go get some food!

Saturday afternoon, we all tried to take a nap. Jule decided he would scream and reject the pack n play, so I put him in bed with us. They all took a nice long nap, but Jule crowded me out of the bed, and I was getting a severe migraine. I decided to go get some ice to put on my head, and as I walked by one of the doors, I heard a familiar voice singing. I knocked on the door, and out came Marty. We talked in the hallway for a few minutes, then I went and laid down with my icepack.

The concert that night was amazing! God's presence was there in a very vivid way. I so needed to just sit in God's presence and listen, and He spoke so much to my heart. There was a nice refreshment time after the concert, but my migraine was full-blown by that time, and Kevin had developed a sinus headache. So, we went to the hotel, ate some dinner, and put the kids to bed.

The drive home was rough for me because I had maxed out on my migraine medicine, and I still had a migraine. We ended up stopping at a hotel about half-way home because I was in too much pain to even talk. After eating, sleeping and taking more meds, we were able to get back home at a decent time.

The next morning, Jule woke up with croup. I am happy to report that he was able to get through the croup without a trip to the ER! I'm hoping that he gets a stronger respiratory system as he gets older! Today, I took him in for a sinus infection, but that's nothing compared to croup going haywire on us!

I ended up getting 7 severe migraines in the first 11 days of March, so I decided to bite the bullet and take the preventive meds that I had wanted to avoid. I started Depakote on Saturday and was up sick a lot of Saturday night. I decided to try one more pill, and my stomach felt fine, but I felt like I was losing my mind. I couldn't sleep, was agitated, wanted to crawl out of my skin and felt like I could not concentrate. Kevin called the neurologist on call, and they said to take an Ativan and no more Depakote. So, that's preventive #4 that hasn't worked for one reason or another. I go back to the Neuro Thursday to see what his next plan is. I so badly want to get these migraines to stop. I feel like I'm missing so much enjoyment of my kids' younger years. I love playing with them and delighting in them, and that's hard to do when their little voices make your head hurt worse.

At the concert, Marty read the first few verses of Psalm 40:

"I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry. He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD."

I'm praying that He brings me out of the "pit" of migraines, that my quality of life improves. Even if He doesn't, I'm so grateful and so in love with the little gifts of life He has given me. And even if He doesn't, He will still be my Praise and my Glory.

2 comments:

Helene said...

Wow, Heather, I can't believe you're still suffering so badly from migraines. Has your neurologist done any tests to make sure everything's okay? I mean, I don't want to freak you out but is it normal to have migraines that often?

Heather said...

Well, it's normal for some with migraine disease. We are continually trying new preventive meds, but I'm really sensitive to medication. Hopefully, it will lighten up soon!