Thursday, July 14, 2011

Thirst

I have been thinking a lot lately about thirst. We have been in a drought and have finally been getting some rain here and there. The grass is so brown, the ground is so dry...and thirsty. I keep thinking about the woman at the well and how she was thirsty. She was probably physically thirsty, or she probably would not have been going to the well. She was also spiritually thirsty and had no idea.

It is so different when God pours down His presence into our circumstances. Even though the circumstances may not change, His saturation makes all the difference in the world. Just as our grass is beginning to turn green and come to life, His life brings true vitality to our hearts. Here are some verses that have been so encouraging to me:

Job 11:18a "You will be secure, because there is hope..." If I know that there is hope (and there is), then I can make it.

Isaiah 35:1 "The desert and the parched land will be glad; the wilderness will rejoice and blossom." 4a "Be strong, do not fear; your God will come..." 6b-7a "Water will gush forth in the wilderness and streams in the desert. The burning sand will become a pool, the thirsty ground bubbling springs..."

He is the refreshing stream that runs through our wilderness experiences, and He is our One Source of life...true life. For that, I am thankful.

1 comment:

Helene said...

I love your analogies and how you're able to see what's going on in your life and compare it with what's in the Bible. You seem to have such a wonderful way of seeing how God is working in your life.

Sometimes I fail to see it, even when it's staring me right in the face!