Friday, September 24, 2010

The Walls of Jericho

I was reading Hebrews 11 yesterday. It is called the "Faith Chapter" of the Bible, and I absolutely love it. Verse 1 says, "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." I think there are so many times in life that we just have to live on faith. I had to live in faith that I would have the child I hoped for, the child I believed God had promised me. Right now, I have to live in faith that, someday & somehow, my migraines will get better!

I read verse 30, "By faith the walls of Jericho fell, after the people had marched around them for seven days." I wonder how the people felt as they marched around that wall in obedience to God. Seven days is a long time to march, and I would think that there would be a lot of time for your mind to wonder if it was really a great idea. Can you imagine the feeling of elation you would have when the walls fell down after you had been walking and walking for seven whole days? What a celebration! What a testimony to what God can do when you have faith! What victory God place into their hands simply because they had faith and obeyed!

Whatever your "walls" may be, hold on to faith. Hold on to the promise that God CAN do what He says He will do. Continue to march, whether it's seven days or seven years, because we serve a faithful God.

There is a song that 4 Him sang MANY years ago, and it really spoke to me in the years that I was miscarrying and trying to have a baby. The lyrics are a little long but worth reading if you have the time:


A long time ago near a city called Jericho, a band of soldiers all gathered around.
Joshua said, "When it's time to go, you'll be marching to the rhythm of the trumpet sound."
Oh, there were those who still had their doubts that they could take the town
But don't you know, they became believers when the walls came down.
CHORUS Where you gonna be when the walls come down, Tell me
Where you gonna be?
Where you gonna be when the walls come down, Tell me
Where you gonna be?
Where you gonna be when the walls come down?
Well, some people pray for a miracle everyday; at times they wonder where Heaven has gone.
Though everyone says just to keep the faith, it's so hard to keep believing when it takes so long.
Oh, once again, try to reach beyond the walls you can't get through
And don't give in, or you'll miss the answer that He has for you.
If you really believe in what you're askin', then just leave it up to Him.
You just rest assured that it's gonna happen. It's just a matter of when.
Hebrews 10:35-36, "So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what He has promised."

1 comment:

Helene said...

You know, I just love the way you interpret Bible passages and I always seem to stumble upon your blog just when I'm in desperate need of encouragement!! That must God working, right?

I'm so sorry about your migraines. I hope you find some relief soon! I saw on FB where you mentioned being done with needles...I can't blame you!!!!