Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Like A Child

I am always looking for opportunities to teach Noly about Who God is. I often find myself wondering if she can grasp a concept that I think she may be able to grasp. A couple of months ago, she was having a lot of bad dreams and didn't want to go to sleep because she didn't want to dream. I remember my mom praying with me when I was little and afraid. I contemplated praying with her over her dreams because I didn't want her to think prayer didn't work if she had a bad dream after we prayed. I decided to try it anyway.

We began praying that she would not have any bad or sad dreams, but that they would be happy (and we usually pray that she will dream about kitties). I hadn't noticed that her fear of dreaming had gone until we were talking about school the other day. I asked her if she fell asleep during her nap at school. She said, "Yes, but they didn't pray for my dreams." I told her she could ask them to. It IS a Christian school after all. It made me realize that it does make a difference to her, and that she is learning about God in a way that her 4-year-old mind can conceive. It is so precious to me, and I want to always treasure this memory of her. She is learning to come to God when she needs Him.

One night she said she didn't like to be alone in bed. I told her God was always with her and that His angels were always watching over her. This must not have been a good idea! Her eyes became saucers, and she said, "What's an angel???" I tried but couldn't explain it in her terms, so I changed the subject : ) Sweet girl.

1 comment:

Helene said...

Don't you just love this age?? You mention one word and next thing you know, it turns into a 30-minute conversation!