Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Breaking Down

Today was a day of emotionally breaking down for me. I don't think it was in a bad way. It was just a delayed reaction to the events of the week. Kevin came down with the flu on Sunday morning, so I spent the day playing with and caring for the kids. Jule had an odd cough, but he was fine. Very suddenly, he came over and crawled into my lap Sunday evening, and I checked his temp. It was 102.6. I knew it was the flu. I wasn't really concerned, but I knew he would probably feel yucky for a few days.

He woke up Monday morning with 104 fever, which was not too disturbing because I knew we already had a doctor's appt within an hour. Flu confirmed, Tamiflu prescribed, no problem. I laid down for a nap while he napped, and "it" happened again. "It" is one of the things that has scared me the most in his little lifetime. He woke up with severe croup, and he was struggling to breathe. I got him into the bathroom and steamed it up quickly. Luckily, Kevin was a couple of miles down the road at his office, and I was able to call and get him to come home right away. Jule was coughing so much he couldn't breathe. All he could do was cough, vomit and struggle to even cry. I took off his shirt, and he was retracting. Ugh! So, I called the Ped's office. While I was waiting to hear back from them, I took his temp...103. He was so sick and struggling so much; it just broke my heart. They called back right away and told us to head to the ER.

On the way to the ER, he improved greatly. He calmed down while watching one of his favorite videos, and that helped the croup immensely. So, I called our Ped, and he told us to use some oral steroids we held onto after his Christmas Croup incident, and he gave us some meds for his nebulizer. By Tuesday, he was doing much better. I'm so thankful that God continually guards his life. It never ceases to throw me for a loop because breathing is kind-of an important bodily function ; ) I was able to get to the office today for several hours and found myself crying. It was the first time I was "off" from being the protector and caregiver, and I was able to process the emotion of it. I sure do love these two little people!

I was able to cut my morning dose of Neurontin back to 4 pills, and I increased the evening dose to 7 pills. AND I have not had a migraine in a week! I'm so thankful for the prayers that so many have prayed for my head, and I'm praying this combination brings me MUCH continued relief. God is faithful, whether we struggle to breathe, whether we are pain free...He just is. I have to get some sleep. I believe my 2 year old has learned to share....the flu!

3 comments:

John Ng said...

You have always amazed me with your ablity to hold it together despite the problems that you have yourself. You are a light and an inspiration.

Heather said...

Thanks, John! I feel like I fall apart too easily. I believe God is doing a work in me, and in our family. Thank you for all of the prayers you have sent up on our behalf!

Helene said...

Soooo glad to hear that about the migraines! I hope they stay away!!

Poor Jule!!! Croup is so scary! Hope he's feeling better now!