Thursday, April 23, 2009

Jule's Surgery

Jule is scheduled to have surgery on Monday. They will sedate him, give him a spinal and then perform the circumcision. I admit that I'm a tad panicky because this type of sedation is different than when he had ear tubes. That was just sedation with a mask...this is "real" sedation. There is no reason to believe that he should have problems, but still, he's my baby and I worry!

Noly sat at the table coloring for about 20 straight minutes last night. Jule had been very fussy, and I was trying to make him happy and hadn't noticed how quiet she was being. I asked her to show me what she was doing, and she showed me the picture. She was coloring IN THE LINES! I was shocked! After I put Jule to bed, I sat with her and watched her color. It took her forever because she was being ever-so-careful to avoid going outside the lines. She would give me the marker to take a turn, but she would quickly take it back and do it herself because I was "coloring too fast" and I was not "covering all the white spots with color." She's truly amazing!

When I put her to bed, I only realized that I had forgotten to put a bedtime diaper on her when I heard her get up to use the bathroom. I ran upstairs with a diaper and was so glad that we weren't waking up in the morning to a soaking wet Noly! In the process, Jule woke up. So, I got her back in bed, and after a half hour of letting him CIO, I got him up. I have no idea what was wrong. He stared at me and smiled once he settled down, and he played with the TV remote for a good hour. I finally got him back down around 9, and he went right to sleep without protest.

Oh yeah, the first time I put him to bed (around 7), I repeated our nightly routine. "Tell Noly night, night. It's time for bed." To our surprise, he said, "nah, nah." He then proceeded to cry because he HATES going to bed. I couldn't believe he had understanding of what was happening! I forget how quickly they learn and grasp what is going on. What I don't forget is how quickly they grow up and want to do everything for themselves. So, I popped a Valium and sat on the floor and tried to enjoy the sweet time with my baby WHILE he's still a baby. Maybe once I'm only working half-time, it will be easier to enjoy the moments when we do nothing but play. There won't be so many pressing things that HAVE to be done with such little time to do them. August 1st, here I come!

No comments: